This blog contains all of the artist research and inspiration, click on the link to jump to the works i have created myself. wow are they creative or what. alice in wonderland comes out next year at the movies i am quite excite

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Carson Fox

Carson Fox 'Pink Slut' Mixed media, 30w" x 32h" x 5 ½d ". 2004

Brooke showed me some works by this lady, the above is less relevant to my own work but totally awesome. She makes these for people she knew that have passed away, i think they're great. reminds me of the song by that aussie comedian, 'even cunts turn in to top blokes after death' or whatever it says. funny.Filigree #8 (installed at Jersey City Museum)
7’ x 30’, wire, artificial hair, 2006
Her filigrees are made with synthetic hair, here is her artists statement taken from her website

I am interested in beauty, but I mistrust it. Instead, I look for beauty that exists in tension with the materials or the circumstances that invent it.

The selection of material is very important to me, and no material is too mean or humble if it is expressive. I appreciate non-traditional items, and I work on several things at once, often in series. As a consequence, my work usually falls into distinct groupings based on my material or media choices.

My series of “filigree” sculpture was originally inspired by Victorian hair sculpture and jewelry. Historically, these objects were crafted out of the hair of a deceased loved one and acted as a memento of the departed. My own sculptural works are elaborately crafted tapestries of delicate, hair-thin wire that bring to mind lace work on a large scale. Often these objects are hung in such a way that allows the resulting shadows to become important elements of the work. In these sculptures, while the decorative patterning may soothe, the hair like materials impart a sense of dread and mourning.

I Know About Your Broken Heart
wire, artificial hair, 25.5" x 106", 2004
I like the words woven in to thefake hair, if i were to do this it would be a lame quote of some sort thats meaning is subverted by the use of material... or something... just... whatever....I realised today that i will have to work on a much smaller scale than what i had planned to unless i want to spend 80 hours a week fiddling with hair. ufuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment