This blog contains all of the artist research and inspiration, click on the link to jump to the works i have created myself. wow are they creative or what. alice in wonderland comes out next year at the movies i am quite excite

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Melanie Bilenker

Melanie Bilenker
Brooch (2004)
1 3/8" x 7/8" x 3/8"
Materials: Gold, sterling silver, ivory piano key laminate, epoxy resin, hair
Thanking you Emily!
I love the everyday MUNDANE AS scenes depicted in Bilenker's works, and the delicate thin lines of hair make them delicate and liney. You don't realize how thin hair is until you try to weave or sew with it using singular strands what a fucking mare i may as well sew it in to my fingertips i prick them so often.
In Bed: Brooch (2004) Still In Bed: Brooch (2004)
7/8" x 1 1/8" x 5/16" 7/8" x 1 1/8" x 3/8"

I prefer her earlier works to her more recent ones from 2008. I'm not such a fan of the faces and portraits in her work i think the more abstract ones appeal to me. This woman must be so incredibly patient as would be the case with any jeweller. I think her hair is straight which would make things 100 times easier. maybe i should straighten mine then try and work with it? I think the curliness is important because if i am adamant that i use my own hair i may as well incorporate features of it. The curls make it form wicked swirly patterns, fluffy ball and crazy 3D chaotic shapes. My hair is so not mundane maybe i should make trippy ridiculous patterns with it. so art.

No comments:

Post a Comment